I am thrilled to announce my candidacy for the Shaker School Board!
My husband Darnell and I have called Shaker Heights, specifically the Moreland neighborhood, our home for over 24 years. We raised four young men who have now all graduated from Shaker Heights High School. I am deeply committed to our community’s well-being and to high quality education for ALL of our students.
I believe that my academic training/background, my experience in non-profit and my 14 years’ experience managing educational programs, federal funds, and capital projects has provided me with the knowledge and skills necessary to be an effective, productive,
and collaborative school board member.
I hold a Master of Science in Social Administration from Case Western Reserve University and a Bachelor of Social Work from Capital University.
Community involvement is a staple of engagement for me as well. I currently sit on the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee for the high school athletic department, served on the Shaker Boosters and after prom, Moreland on the Move and participate in the Moreland's Neighbor Nights. You may have seen me working concessions for football, baseball, and track meets.
Once elected I will advocate for EDUCATIONAL EQUITY & EXCELLENCE for ALL students and their families. I pledge to prioritize EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION. I believe it is essential to keep ALL Shaker residents well-informed and engaged in the decisions that impact our community and our schools. Open transparent communication will be the cornerstone of a stronger, more vibrant school district.
I am ready to be a Strong Voice for Strong Schools…Please allow me to be Your Voice on the Board by voting for me on November 7, 2023!
Every student and their families have the resources, supports, and opportunities that produce thriving, and successful individuals during their school career and beyond regardless of their background.
- Resource Equity: allocate and use resources (tangible and intangible) to enhance student experiences and empower the school community to deliver rigorous and relevant instruction — no matter their race or income.
- Diversity and Inclusion: making sure every student and their family feels valued, included, and appreciated for who they are and who they strive to be regardless of how the world may see them or treat them. ADA compliance in our schools is non-negotiable for our vulnerable populations.
- Achievement for All: Educational and programmatic evidence-based strategies that are relevant and bring joy in education. I will advocate for unique educational experiences in closing achievement gaps in our district.
- High-Quality Education: our students will and can rise to any challenge we put before them. We must allow students to demonstrate their abilities by trusting them with a rigorous, relevant curriculum without bias. Our school buildings must be an environment where students enjoy entering and can learn without challenges due to structural or environmental issues.
- Support for All Educators: teachers are essential to our education system, as well as support staff: secretaries, custodians, bus drivers, paraprofessionals, lunch aides, security officers, and many others. I will work to keep all staff needs at the forefront, advocating to remove any barriers that could impede them from supporting a high-quality school and classroom environment conducive to learning.
- Innovation: infrastructure for technology is needed as other innovative teaching and learning approaches that engage, excite, and inspire our students.
EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION FOR ALL
- Beyond Transparency: I will ensure that we have multiple modalities of two-way communication for all stakeholders: parents, students, teachers, AND our community, which includes surrounding businesses and including those without school-aged children. We NEED TRUST in our School Board, and we can only gain it by being Beyond TRANSPARENT!
- Accessibility: making school policies, decisions, and initiatives readily accessible and available to all. Requested and unrequested information has to be done in a timely manner...it is your right and our responsibility.
- Community Engagement: aside from the regular board meetings, surveys, and online presence, I believe we could be more present in the community by visiting schools, participating in volunteer opportunities, and being intentional about speaking with students and parents who will support us in making key and informed decisions and fostering collaboration.
- Policy Advocacy: I will advocate for policies that support equity, excellence, and effective communication in our schools comunity.
- Collaboration: I will collaborate with other board members, administrators, teachers, local unions, parents, students, community organizations and businesses to achieve these goals.
- Data-Driven Decision Making: I will use data and the voice of the students, families and stakeholders to make informed decisions, ensuring that our initiatives positively impact student outcomes.
- Accountability: I promise to be accountable to families and stakeholders. Supporting progress reports and seeking input on our initiatives that will take place on a regular basis.
Have questions or ideas you'd like to share?
Reach out to me through our Contact page. Your input is invaluable, and I'm eager to hear from you.
Thank you for visiting my School Board Campaign website.
Vote for me on November 7, 2023 so that I can be…YOUR Voice on the Board!
Together, we can build a school system that prioritizes equity, excellence, and effective communication. Join me in this important journey to make a profound difference in the lives of our students, families, and the future of the Shaker community.
Want to Support the Movement!
Request a yard sign, leave your contact info to volunteer and DONATE by clicking below.